Hoefner Corporation was founded in 1946 and the first three years of operation were spent in designing
and manufacturing special machinery and tooling for the automotive industry. In 1949 we entered the
field of precision aircraft components when we produced precision parts of Douglas Aircraft and North
American Aviation. In 1951 the Anaheim Division of Northrop Aircraft selected Hoefner Corporation as
one of their preferred vendors of precision machining.
In 1954 Hoefner Corporation was incorporated. At that time, we entered the field of missile valves and
were successful in establishing ourselves as a reliable supplier to Rocketdyne and Aerojet. We have
since manufactured over 200 various types of valves used on the Redstone, Jupiter, Atlas, Thor, RS-
27, Delta, Apollo and Saturn missiles. Among these units were various sizes of propellant and oxidizer
valves, piston and diaphragm pressure regulators, pressure relief valves, oxidizer tank vent valves,
propellant poppet valves, single and double stage loader valves, oxidizer regulating valves and many
We are currently producing a complex hydraulic control valve, pump assembly and complex details for
the airborne dipping sonar system for L-3 Communications, Ocean Systems Division. We have also
produced various components for Boeing, Aerojet and Rocketdyne for the Space Shuttle Main Engine
and the International Space Station as well as the Atlas, Delta, Orion and RS-68 engines. Among these
components are pressure regulator valves, solenoid valves, pneumatic control valves, injector
assemblies and many other precision components and assemblies. We are also very involved in the
manufacturing of complex components for missile defense programs Thaad, SM 4 and Israel’s Arrow 2
We established numerical control machining capability in 1976 with the end goal to achieve unattended,
lights out machining. We have continually increased the size of the N/C department as well as the
range of parts we produce. In 1981 we established in-house computer assist N/C programming
capability utilizing the NCL interactive graphics software for full 5 axis surfacing capability with in
process N/C part programming verification capability. This system also gave us the capability of
receiving models direct from our customers utilizing multiple modeling platforms. In 2002 we upgraded
to a Microsoft Windows platform which gave us the capability of downloading and uploading programs
and models directly to the CMM and N/C Machines. This also gave us the ability to tie into the existing
In 1982 we began development of an in-house computer integrated manufacturing system. Production
planning, inspection planning, job routing, scheduling, materials requirements, work center loading,
certification documentation, estimating, and all financial and job cost functions were integrated into the
system. This in-house system was replaced with VISUAL MANUFACTURING in 1999.
Visual Manufacturing is an order driven enterprise resource planning software package which gives us
the capability of scheduling the required combination of men and machines in a finite load schedule for
accurate control of delivery commitments.
In 1988 we added a computer controlled coordinate measuring machine equipped with a motorized
probing system and a measuring range of 45 x 32 x 22 inches. This addition was made to support
shorter delivery capability on complex parts while maintaining our high standard of quality. The CMM
was upgraded in 1998 to a Brown & Sharpe ultra high accuracy model with a larger measuring area of
35 x 59 x 33 and includes scanning capability.
In 1988 in the pursuit of unattended, lights out machining, we added a six-axis horizontal machining
center configured with the options to support lights out machining. This addition gives us full five-axis
simultaneous machining capability. The machine is also equipped with a sixth axis, which is a U-center
for N/C control of boring heads. The U-center and the 120 position automatic tool changer allow us to
greatly reduce or eliminate secondary machining operations on complex parts. This enables us to
reduce the lead-time on complex parts and makes smaller runs more economical. In 1998 a second six-
axis machine was brought on line with the additional capability of 185 tools and high pressure through
the spindle coolant also with the options to support lights out machining. We also added a four-axis
vertical machining center in 1997.
In 1999 we added a nine-axis, dual spindle mill-turn center with bar feed, probing and high pressure
through the tool coolant capability. This addition allows us to complete complex turning oriented parts
in a single cycle. In addition we added a high precision bar feed two-axis lathe. These two machines
added to the lights out capabilities.
In 1992 we trained all employees in the methods of TQM and SPC. We installed a Mitutoyo software
system on shop workstations to implement SPC control at the machines. We were one of the first to
implement SPC in process control instead of the standard part specific control. The system was
upgraded in 1999 to a windows based system. We also interfaced a Wickman Tool Management
System and advanced optical pre-setter equipped with Heidenhiam scales and a 50X video camera to
pick up offsets. The systems then allow the operator the ability to view drawings of each tool he will be
setting. This system will then take the offset and download it to the machine. The system allows us to
reduce set-up time at the N/C machining centers for better machine utilization and shorter cycle times.
Our continuing success is due in large part to our demonstrated quality performance and customer
support from conceptual design to the producibility of hardware. Our quality management is certified to
the requirements of AS9100. Each job begins with a detailed manufacturing outline. A quality
acceptance procedure is then prepared for each item in coordination with the manufacturing outline. All
of our personnel take pride in maintaining their quality reputation. All of our departments are staffed
with experienced personnel using the most modern of equipment and techniques.